A Canadian space story 40 years in the making
July 15, 2009 – On July 20th, The Canadian Air and Space Museum celebrates the 40th anniversary of the first lunar landing by Apollo 11 and the vital contributions of Canadians to this important milestone.
July 15, 2009 – On July 20th, The Canadian Air and Space Museum celebrates the 40th anniversary of the first lunar landing by Apollo 11 and the vital contributions of Canadians to this important milestone:
• Did you know a Canadian, Owen Maynard was in charge of NASA’s Lunar Module Program and played the key role in the design of the lunar module?
• Did you know Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin thanked two former Avro Arrow engineers for their contributions in helping to make the voyage of Apollo 11 a resounding success?
• Did you know that more than 25 engineers left for NASA following the Avro Arrow cancellation in 1959 and made an indelible mark on the manned space program?
• Canadian Astronaut Roberta Bondar
• Original six Canadian Astronaut Bjarni Tryggvason
• Avro Arrow Chief Design Engineer Jim Floyd
• Chris Gainor, author, Arrows to the Moon
• Toronto City Councilor, Maria Augimeri
• Rod Jones, Executive Director, Ontario Aerospace Council (OAC)
• Canadian aerospace legends, test pilots, industry representatives
• Messages from Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin and Apollo 15 commander, David Scott, and Harrison Ford
• Discover the pivotal role Avro Arrow engineers played to manned spaceflight and the Apollo 11 mission
• Hear and see audio and video images (including of the Apollo program) not seen in 40 years, some of which was thought to no longer exist
• Hear for the first time in 40 years Canadian Owen Maynard, former Head of NASA’s Lunar Module Program and Avro Arrow Engineer discuss his design of the Apollo Lunar Module
• Launch of Canadian Air and Space Pioneers Award
WHAT ELSE: A static display of Canadian built aircraft
WHEN: Monday, July 20, 2009, 10:00 a.m.
WHERE: The Hangar building located directly behind the Canadian Air & Space Museum at 75 Carl Hall Road, Downsview Park, Toronto, ON. M3K 2E1