BC Aviation Council announces industry awards
By BC Aviation Council
At the annual Silver Wings Awards on October 20, the British Columbia Aviation Council (BCAC) will honor and highlight the many achievements of its members, industry leaders and the youth who benefit from nearly $20,000 awarded annually in scholarships.
By BC Aviation Council
“We have seen significant growth in the aviation and aerospace sector in British Columbia over the past few years,” said BCAC Chairman, Mark Duncan. “That is thanks to the innovation, expertise and entrepreneurial spirit of local companies and industry members. Looking to the future, we are establishing new partnerships with organizations such as the Air Cadet League of Canada, and encourage students with an interest in aviation to become members of BCAC at no cost and network with industry leaders.”
BCAC’s premier event, the Silver Wings Awards, will take place on Tuesday, October 20 at Vancouver Convention Centre West, 1055 Canada Place, beginning at 6 p.m.
About the winners:
- Entrepreneur of the Year in Aviation: Wayne Coulson, President and CEO of Coulson Aircrane Ltd., for showing creative leadership, delivering innovative product development, and creating new markets, cost saving solutions and revenue streams to advance aviation in British Columbia.
- BCAC Environmental Award in Aviation: Danny Sitnam and Helijet, for demonstrating consistent and responsible noise management practices and remaining proactive in enhancement and protection of the environment through proactive route planning.
- Back and Bevington Air Safety Award: Bill Yearwood, Regional Manager, Pacific Region, Transportation Safety Board of Canada, for his long standing and significant contributions to Air Safety in all aspects of aviation within the Province of British Columbia.
- Robert S. Day Award: Gerry Bruno, VP of Federal Government Affairs, Vancouver Airport Authority, for his outstanding contribution and leadership in multiple organizations and for the promotion and development of new aviation markets and innovative passenger solutions in British Columbia.
- William Templeton Award: Kelowna International Airport, for commitment to growth and achievement in the continuous and successful development of new markets and through a multi-year $55.6M capital plan. Lifetime Achievement: Barry Marsden, President & CEO, Conair Group, for his globally recognized leadership in the development of aerial fire control aircraft, innovative leadership and actions contributing significantly to the development of British Columbia’s aviation and aerospace industry.
- Lifetime Achievement: James N. Rogers, President of Flair Airlines, for outstanding leadership, commitment, promotion and consistent contribution to the continuous development of aviation in British Columbia.
“One more way that we highlight the many talents of our membership and industry leaders is through our online presence,” said Duncan. “With the help of one of our members, Carter Hales Design Lab, we have a brand new website that provides the public with an updated view of our organization and members. I encourage aviation enthusiasts to purchase tickets for the Silver Wings Awards online.”