Boeing reveals R&D studies, innovations at Paris Air Show
June 15, 2015 By Boeing
Boeing has outlined a variety of leading-edge technologies with the potential to make the flying experience more comfortable and exciting, as well as making airplanes more economical and efficient. Boeing presented an overview of its research and development efforts at the Paris Air Show.
“We really feel that we’ve taken our airplane designs to the next level,” said Mike Sinnett, vice president of Product Development, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. “For nearly 100 years, Boeing has delivered market-leading innovations to airlines around the world. Our latest technological advancements reinforce our commitment to innovation leadership.”
Sinnett described innovations in operational efficiency, connectivity, advanced materials, cabin experience and advanced technologies that demonstrate Boeing’s market-leading focus on future technology. Boeing’s focus on innovation also extends to its production systems and the services it provides to airline customers.
Some of the advances being developed include:
- Secure, connected airplane that enables analytics-driven operations
- Integrated sound and light inside the cabin that allow airlines to reinforce their branding and uniquely present valuable information to passengers
- Advances in natural laminar flow that greatly improve fuel efficiency
- Stronger, lightweight and more durable materials beyond carbon composites that reduce airplane weight
- New, sustainable fuels that reduce emissions, such as green diesel for aviation
- Alternative propulsion systems that integrate advanced concepts and improve the aerodynamics of future designs
- Advanced, automated manufacturing techniques utilizing the latest technology
- Technologies making airplane navigation easier and flight routing more direct
- Entirely paperless flight deck
“We’re building on gains we’ve made on our newest airplanes to raise the bar for our next generation of airplanes,” Sinnett said. “We make investments in technology that deliver superior value for our customers and for Boeing.”