Senior Base Engineer – 12,500 and Shops
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Company: Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry
Posted on July 22, 2021
ATTENTION: Aircraft Maintenance Engineers!
If you are an energetic and innovative individual with strong leadership qualities and a broad knowledge of the aviation industry, then consider this challenging and rewarding career with the Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services Branch of the Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry.
The Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services Branch provides forest fire management services for the Province, including fire management policies and strategies, fire prevention and detection, and the basic resources for managing forest fires; aviation flight and maintenance crews and equipment in support of forest fire and natural resources management, and other specialized aviation services, including non-scheduled air transport to all government ministries and agencies; and emergency management in response to forest fires, floods, drought/low water, dam failures, erosion, soil and bedrock instability, crude oil and natural gas exploration, natural gas and hydrocarbon underground storage, and salt solution mining emergencies.
Ontario averages over 1,300 wildfires each year: Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services Program
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to be an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
In addition to flexible work arrangements, a collegial and professional work culture, career growth and development, and on-the-job training to help you succeed, we offer a competitive total compensation package, which includes an attractive salary and may include the following:
• Defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits, which cover adoptive parents
• Comprehensive health and dental plans
• Life and disability insurance
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) Leadership Model defines what it means to be a leader through the following expected attributes and behavioural competencies:
• We are responsible for being leaders that demonstrate authenticity, accountability and courage.
• We are innovative by embracing positive disruption, having a future mindset and developing each other, every day.
• We are collaborative by leading with a common purpose, being inclusive and driving people-centred outcomes.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Production and Quality Control, you will:
• Lead and manage the day-to-day aircraft maintenance activities, including hangar and field repairs at multiple regional bases
• Maintain a diverse fleet of aircraft in an airworthy condition for flight in accordance with the Federal Canadian Aviation Regulations, the OMNR Maintenance Policy & Control Manual, and Aircraft Manufacturers
• Provide a properly, safely maintained fleet of aircraft, throughout the region, capable of meeting the requirements for the ministry and the Ontario government
• Assist in aircraft accident investigations and, as requested, assist with Transportation Safety Board accident investigations
• Act as liaison between the Air Maintenance Engineers, the Production Planner, the Chief Engineer and the Quality Assurance Specialist in regard to technical and administration matters
• Provide input into maintenance planning, aircraft modifications, work procedures and inspection procedures and standards
• Maintain the care and control of an inventory of aircraft parts located strategically throughout the province
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
How do I qualify?
• A Valid Transport Canada Aircraft Maintenance Licence endorsed as defined in the Class Standards.
• A Valid Restricted Radio Operator’s Certificate-Aeronautical.
• Ability to obtain an Airport Security Clearance as per Transport Canada requirements.
• A Valid passport or ability to acquire one.
• A Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s License.
• You have expert knowledge and understanding of Transport Canada Federal Canadian Aviation Regulations and industry manuals (e.g. Ministry Maintenance Policy and Control Manual).
• You have the ability to ensure that Airworthiness Directives, Service Bulletins and Special Inspections are completed within the required time frames.
• You have thorough knowledge of function and expertise in repairing and diagnosing defects in engines, flight systems, hydraulic systems, avionics systems, undercarriage systems and propulsion systems.
• You have the ability to work with a computerized maintenance system in order to follow the maintenance requirements for a diverse fleet of aircraft.
• You have sound knowledge of precision and hand tools, and sophisticated technical and diagnostic test equipment.
Strategic Leadership Skills:
• You have a passion for developing, building and leading organizational capacity through inclusive, positive, and values-based leadership in areas of succession planning, talent management, organization and job design.
• You have an understanding of strategic corporate directions, multi-year business and results-based planning processes.
• You have experience managing a team of air maintenance engineers throughout the region.
• You have expertise in structuring, organizing and managing the day-to-day aircraft maintenance activities.
• You have demonstrated skills in managing financial budgets and human resources, including labour relations issues.
Program Management, Problem-Solving and Analytical Skills:
• You are able to ensure that maintenance staff receive information and instruction to protect their health and safety, including task-specific direction related to the performance of their work; and ensure that hazard controls are in place and used to effectively protect the worker.
• You are able to acquire knowledge of OPS fiscal and procurement practices, policies, and procedures to manage budget forecasting and the negotiation of contractual agreements.
• You have strong analytical skills to authorize the development and implementation of plans and supervise high-profile and time-sensitive projects.
• You have the ability to review and evaluate new/existing policies and related legislation for relevance and application to the area, and provide recommendations to the Production Manager and Chief Engineer.
• You have a keen ability to anticipate and identify potential key issues that have an impact at the area level; follow issues management and communications protocols; and aid in the development of responses to issues, including complaints and concerns.
• You have an ability to interpret and analyze drawings, directives and manuals.
• You have an ability to interpret and apply manufacturers and regulatory instructions and provide technical direction to staff.
Communication, Relationship Management and Organizational Skills:
• You are able to act as liaison between the Air Maintenance Engineers, the Production Planner, the Chief Engineer and the Quality Assurance Specialist in regard to technical and administration matters.
• You have an ability to interact with staff, clients and industry partners.
• You have an ability to create reports and human resource-related documentation.
• You have the ability to organize the day-to-day aircraft maintenance activities and organize/maintain technical records.
• You have demonstrated skills to organize work, set priorities and monitor progress.
Salary Range: $64,468 – $95,676 Per Year
• 1 Permanent, 475 Airport Rd, Sault Ste Marie, North Region
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 166156, by Tuesday, August 3, 2021.
Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.