Fort McMurray to open new international ATB
March 25, 2014, Fort McMurray, Alta. - Canada’s fastest growing community will open the doors of a new Air Terminal Building (ATB) on June 9, 2014.
March 25, 2014 By Carey Fredericks
The new ATB will be five times the size of the current building and feature all of the amenities of a modern terminal, including:
- Fifteen brand name retail and food/beverage outlets including two full-service restaurants (Earls and Famoso Pizzeria), plus Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Jugo Juice, Mary Brown’s Famous Chicken, Burger King, and Subway. Chocolates & Candlelight will offer treats and gifts alongside Nicholby’s convenience store, a Duty Free outlet, and a Best Buy machine.
- Over 2,200 parking stalls with power; valet parking.
- 4 aircraft bridges and 8 aircraft parking stands.
- Public art featuring original works by David Robinson, Lucas Seaward and Liz Ingram.
- New commercial and light industrial developable land available on-airport on 1,267 acres.
- A 4-star hotel opening in 2016 with restaurant/bar, meeting rooms, gym/pool, business centre and heated underground parking, connected to the ATB via a climate-controlled pedway.
The old terminal was built to handle 250,000 passengers, but in 2013 the Fort McMurray Airport (YMM) handled nearly 1.2 million passengers. The new terminal is designed for 1.5 million. The terminal will be 15,000 sq. meters in size, or equivalent to 2.5 Canadian football fields. The terminal will cost $258 Million.
YMM is Canada’s sixteenth busiest airport and the fastest growing airport in the country. It generates an estimated $363 million a year in economic activity for Canada’s fastest growing Regional Municipality, Wood Buffalo, strategically located in the heart of Canada’s Oil Sands.
A grand opening gala event featuring Colonel Chris Hadfield as Master of Ceremonies and the Canadian rock band Bachman + Turner will be held in the new ATB on May 31, 2014. Passengers will begin using the terminal on Monday, June 9.