Boeing to add Embraer commercial arm in joint venture

July 05, 2018
Written by Wings Staff
Boeing will hold an 80 per cent ownership stake in the joint venture and Embraer will own the remaining 20 per cent.
Boeing will hold an 80 per cent ownership stake in the joint venture and Embraer will own the remaining 20 per cent.
Boeing and Embraer this morning announced they have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to establish a joint venture comprising the commercial aircraft and services business of Embraer. The companies also state they are working to create another defence-focused joint venture around the KC-390 aircraft.


Once definitive agreements are completed, the transaction will then be subject to shareholder and regulatory approvals, including approval from the government of Brazil, as well as other customary closing conditions. Assuming the approvals then run in a normal course, the transaction is expected to close by the end of 2019.

Under the terms of the current non-binding agreement for the commercial aircraft transaction, Boeing will hold an 80 per cent ownership stake in the joint venture and Embraer will own the remaining 20 per cent. The transaction values 100 per cent of Embraer’s commercial aircraft operations at $4.8 billion, and contemplates a value of $3.8 billion for Boeing’s 80 per cent ownership stake in the joint venture.

The proposed partnership is expected to generate annual pre-tax cost savings of approximately $150 million by year three, as the joint venture would strategically align with Boeing’s commercial development, production, marketing and lifecycle services operations. “By forging this strategic partnership, we will be ideally positioned to generate significant value for both companies’ customers, employees and shareholders – and for Brazil and the United States,” said Dennis Muilenburg, Boeing’s chairman, president and CEO.

Describing the agreement with Boeing as one of the most important strategic partnerships in the aerospace industry, Paulo Cesar de Souza e Silva, Embraer CEO and president, added, “The business combination with Boeing is expected to create a virtuous cycle for the Brazilian aerospace industry, increasing its sales potential, production, creating jobs and income, investments and exports, and in doing so, adding more value to customers, shareholders and employees."

Related: Airbus, Bombardier to close C Series deal July 1

The companies describe the partnership as a natural evolution of a long-standing history of collaboration between Boeing and Embraer over more than 20 years. On finalization, the commercial aviation joint venture will be led by Brazil-based management, including a president and CEO. Boeing will have operational and management control of the new company, which will report directly to Muilenburg.
 
The joint venture will become one of Boeing’s centres of excellence for end-to-end design, manufacturing, and support of commercial passenger aircraft, and will be fully integrated into Boeing’s broader production and supply chain. Boeing’s commercial airplane portfolio ranges from 70 seats to more than 450 seats and freighters.
 
In addition, the two companies state they will create another joint venture to promote and develop new markets and applications for defense products and services, especially the KC-390 multi-mission aircraft.

“Joint investments in the global marketing of the KC-390, as well as a series of specific agreements in the fields of engineering, research and development and the supply chain, will enhance mutual benefits and further enhance the competitiveness of Boeing and Embraer,” said Nelson Salgado, Embraer’s executive VP, financial and investor relations.

 

Related items

  • Transport Canada certifies 90-Seat Q400
    Bombardier Commercial Aircraft’s 90-passenger Q400 aircraft configuration received its certification from Transport Canada. The company explains the certification makes the Q400 the first commercial turboprop in the world to reach a 90-passenger capacity.
  • Swoop releases winter schedule
    Swoop today released its domestic winter schedule covering the period from October 27, 2018, to April 27, 2019. The airline also welcomed its third aircraft for the inaugural flight from Abbotsford International Airport (YXX) to Edmonton International Airport (YEG), departing July 25, 2018, at 7:10 a.m. Service between Edmonton, AB, and Abbotsford, BC, will be offered three-times daily.
  • First production A330neo visits Americas
    The first production A330neo aircraft visited South and North America during what Airbus describes as a worldwide route-proving flight test exercise. The tour was designed to demonstrate to aviation authorities its compatibility with airports and readiness for airline operations.

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Subscription Centre

 
New Subscription
 
Already a Subscriber
 
Customer Service
 
View Digital Magazine Renew

Most Popular

Latest Careers

We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. To find out more, read our Privacy Policy.